Computer and communications networks are the very environment in which cyber operations are conducted. An understanding of these networks is essential to any discussion of cyber operations activities.
Specific topics to be covered in this knowledge unit include, but are not limited to:
- Routing, network, and application protocols including:
- TCP/IP (versions 4 and 6)
- ARP, BGP, SSL/TLS
- Network architectures
- Network security
- Wireless network technologies
- Network traffic analysis
- Protocol analysis (examining component-to-component communication to determine the protocol being used and what it is doing)
- Network mapping techniques (active and passive)
Outcome: Students will have a thorough understanding of how networks work at the infrastructure, network and applications layers; how they transfer data; how network protocols work to enable communication; and how the lower-level network layers support the upper ones. They will have a thorough knowledge of the major network protocols that enable communications and data transfer.